Do you want an easy DIY rain barrel kit that is both functional and decorative? The Earthminded Rainstation easily connects to any downspout and provides 45 gallons of water storage. Plus, it includes a garden planter on top.
5 Advantages of Using a DIY Rainstation Kit:
1. Essentially, the Rainstation acts as a complete rainwater harvesting system. You can even connect it to other units to instantly increase your water storage capacity.
2. It comes with its own spigot, drainage hole and downspout-to-barrel diverter kit. Therefore, you don’t have to buy these parts separately and figure out how to install them.
3. I also like how this rainwater harvesting container is cleverly disguised as a terra cotta planter. As a result, you don’t have to conceal it behind a wall or bush.
Note: The planter lid is actually reversible. Therefore, you can use it to grow plants or herbs part of the year, then flip it over to use it as a snap-on lid during winter.
4. The smaller 45-gallon size works particularly well for small patios or balconies that cannot fit a 100-gallon tank. Plus, you can set them up in various locations to make accessibility more convenient.
5. Earthminded is smart and created a “sealed system” that prevents mosquitoes, insects and algae from becoming a problem. (No mosquito dunks needed.) That said, if you want to play it extra safe, you can always add some mosquito dunks.
Note: Considering that you get (1) a decorative barrel, (2) a planter, (3) a complete downspout diverter kit and (4) simple, quick installation – I think this package offers a great deal for $150. Not to mention, you can save money on mosquito dunks and special tools too.
The only upgrade I might consider would be a more durable brass spigot if you want a more heavy-duty part. However, this part is not necessary.
How to Install a Rainstation Rain Barrel:
This do-it-yourself rain barrel kit includes all of the components you’ll need to set up and use your Rainstation. In fact, you can complete the setup in under 30 minutes.
Plus, you don’t need any special tools (the kit includes a hole saw). Overall, this can end up saving you time and money.
Rainstation Kit Includes
- Fill Hose
- 4 Grommets
- Winterization Cap
- Hole Saw
- Bottom Drain Fitting with Cap
First, start by finding a location for your rain barrel within 1-3 of a downspout. Then, make sure the ground is level or use bricks, pavers or gravel to make adjustments.
The included diverter system to fits a 2″x3″, 3″x3″ or 3″x4″ downspout. (If you ever need a replacement, you can buy diverter kit separately to fit this Rainstation.
How Does the Rain Barrel Diverter Work? On top of being easy to install, the FlexiFit diverter is designed to keep your barrel maintenance-free. For example, it diverts downspout water to the rain barrel, and then automatically back to downspout when rain barrel is full. Thus, it prevents water overflow and flooding.
The video below shows step-by-step instructions on how to install your Earthminded Rainstation. Plus, it includes several tips and ideas on how to use your rain barrel.
Note: To keep leaves and debris from getting into the rain barrel or clogging the downspout, simply install a mesh screen in the gutter over the downspout. Alternatively, you can remove the FlexiFit diverter every few months to clear out any leaves.
How to Elevate Your Container: Rain Barrel Stand:
As you can see, the spigot is located mid-way up the barrel so you can place a watering can underneath. However, if you want to elevate the Rainstation even higher, you can get a rain barrel stand.
This stand gives you an additional 11 inches of height, making it even easier to access the spigot and drain cap. The stand measures 27″ across and can support up to a 50 gallon water barrel, so it fits the Rainstation.
Specs for the Earthminded Rainstation:
- Dimensions: 23.5″ Diameter x 35.5″ Tall
- Planter Depth: 7″ Deep
- Weight: 17 lbs
- Water Capacity: 45 Gallons
- Weight Capacity: 500 lbs
- Material: HDPE Plastic (High Density Polyethylene)
- 85% Recycled Material
- 10-Year UV Protection
- Resists Fading, Cracking & Mildew
- Color: Terra Cotta (granite & charcoal when available)
- Includes Spigot (garden hose compatible)
- Includes Diverter Kit
- Linkable: Yes (Earthminded Connector Kit #F-RN069)
- Assembly Required
- Installation Instructions
- Model #: PRN1022
- Manufacturer: Earthminded
- Phone: 855-364-6333
- For Sale: Where to Buy the Rainstation